Thursday 13 October 2011

Quilt Compilation

I thought I should at least show a selection of quilts  I have made over the years, or am currently working on so that you can see I do actually love quilting and have started to produce some of my own designs.
I've always said anybody mad enough to complete a hexagon quilt needs to be certified. I do so admire some of the hexagon quilts that have been made but seem to run out of patience when it comes to doing mine. It's a start anyway.

The next few photos are of a king-size bed quilt I made for my Mum. It usually is laid over the bed so that the baskets can be viewed from any side of the bed. The quilt is based on an antique bedspread which I saw a photo in Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine Annual 1998. Express publication, my all time most favourite issue of any magazine. My issue is thread bare from being thumbed through so frequently. I have also made several quilts utilizing patterns from this issue






Jacks  quilt above. I love the colours of this quilt. I have actually finished it with a red border
Kirsty and I started this at a workshop at Patchwork By The Sea in Brighton, South Australia and completed it over a few months at home.

Below is another quilt form Australian patchwork and quilting annual 1998: The Sarah Johnston Quilt. It was my first quilt I ever made. Brigitte Giblin produced the pattern. The original quilt is housed in the Shelburne Museum, Vermont.
 I couldn't wait to go to quilting class and started the quilt at home. I cut all the pieces by hand using a template. It took me three days to cut all the pieces and then discovered on attending class that such things as rotary cutters existed. The girls at quilting talked me into hand quilting the quilt, at the time I didnt think i could accomplish such a huge feat and was very happy to pay to have it machine quilted. Anyway a year later of Thursday  mornings at craft my quilt eventually was completed. Twelve years later it still has pride of place on my bed but is showing signs of wear and tear. Being my first quilt I used a lot of scrap fabrics with calico and bought mainly the border greens to tie it all together. I love the chequered materials that lend a country feel, warm and welcoming





Also from Australian Patchwork And Quilting Annual 1998 is the goose track block quilt in red and white with sawtooth border. The pattern originally had a scalloped border. The original quilt was produced in 1924.
I have machined pieced and  hand quilted this quilt for Caleb, my son.
I was very silly and didn't pre wash my material for this quilt and delayed washing this quilt for months fearing that the  red was going to bleed. Thank goodness the colours were fast and have held nicely. The moral of the story is don't always be in such a hurry to get things done without adequate preparation. Think of all those hours hand stitching to have it ruined by stupidity of not pre washing. I shudder to think, but that is typical of me.



Jordana's bedspread is based on an antique style rose whig design and simple flowers. I added my own interpretation of the rose whig and used a basic solid block in fabrics that Jordana liked. No particular pattern was followed and flowers were placed randomly throughout the quilt.



Ben's quilt was made under the instruction that it had to be bright. I liked the appeal of the quilt's scrappy nature. The pattern is by Coral Smith "Bird on the Roof Quilt" in Homespun magazine No11 (Vol 3.3)

This next quilt David my husband uses its a scrappy basket design. I made it drawing up my own pattern but utilizing a photo of Bridgette Giblin's quilt shown in a photograph of her home in Australian Patchwork and Quilting Annual 1998. Another quilt made from this magazine!! This is the only quilt I have had machine quilted for me professionally, some times you just don't want to wait or cant be bothered to spend the time putting in the finer detail.




More quilts to come later when I dig them out

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments