Friday 29 January 2016

Pillow works and spoon


This is a piece of driftwood that I picked up in Burleigh Heads on our Queensland holiday. Salted and roasted in the sun to an ashen grey on the outside, The wood is light and dry and when the outer layer is peeled back this spalted wood appeared. Pity about the hollow track a little deeper in. So after further shaving and much time...this grey and bent spoon appeared. I decided to keep the bend and the thickness of the wood in the handle with a tiny wee scoop up top.  Big enough for a spice spoon. That being said I later decided to chop the length of handle in half so it could be used for that purpose. Now to find a piece of pottery to accompany this spoon's character


The shorty version below doing a balancing act.  I can make a baby sister to match with the other half of the wood.


And just because I dont have enough interests at the moment I decided to join a pillow swap on instagram organised by Little Island Quilting. For years I have loved the feathered star pattern and thought this would be a good opportunity to try it out. I would never make this in a quilt , too many fiddly bits, but a pillow is manageable. I must admit that I find joining points trying and my first attempt has lots of faults in the sewing execution but I still like it.


Fabric selection



Playing around with the pattern by  feathering the inner triangle. My accuracy is hit and miss in some of the the strips.


Needing to make the pillow bigger I added triangles
Continue with the teal blue background... no..

Throw in a few more pieces of fabric and this is my first top

What to do with all the left over scraps? A start of a scrappy quilt?

Tomorrow I'll show the quilted version of the top but I haven't photographed it yet . Maybe by then the pillow will be constructed. Then I can make the real pillow (Without all the missed seams) I also thought I would enlarge the feathered star a bit so that I dont have to add extra strips to make a  large enough pillow.
Always plenty of options. Do you think this pillow fits in a vintage theme - this is what my swap partner has asked for. It certainly is a vintage pattern. Oh well I have plenty of time to play with ideas
See you soon. Cheers

1 comment:

  1. You amaze me with your sewing skills!! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments