Friday 27 March 2015

Torrens River Birds

I can't help myself. I was near the river again today and had to stop and visit my feathered friends. i managed to find a few different types of water birds hence the photo laden posting today. I find it really difficult to cull the pictures but you can whizz through at your own pace.
The light today was particularly good for photographing - cloudy - so I didn't have to combat the glare of the sun.
I feel particularly blessed to live in a city that is so full of nature and wildlife in the suburbs. You never have to go far to be surrounded by the noise of birds in the trees or a beautiful strip of nature on the beaches or the hills.

Ok so dont panic. There is nothing wrong with this bird...other than the fact that his head appears to be way too heavy for his neck to support. This pelican is doing some bizarre fishing technique, I think he might be scoping the water with one eye as he paddles along, Purely ridiculous look but must be a proven effective method otherwise why repeat the exercise?







I love the reflection of the bill in the water.



I'm not too sure if there are two different types of cormorants in the following photos..one with black feathers, one with brown or if they are the same  species but different sexes...no idea. Let me know if you know the names of these birds. Note the feathers are shaped similarly and so are the beaks.






Wading birds







Cockatoo on top of a light pole near the river


Manmade pelicans at the junction of the Torrens River and the sea at Henley beach South Australia

 More wading birds. I think I photographed one of these perched up in a gum tree last night and the white sulphur crested cockatoos were going ballistic at it...not happy to have their territory occupied by another breed of bird




Different type of cormarant? - webbed feet


A view of the Torrens river meeting the sea




Cheers and thanks for visiting

5 comments:

  1. I wish :
    1) I had webbed feet
    2) I could scoop the world with one eye,
    3) I could observe cockatoos going ballistic
    4) I could see a gum tree
    5) I could come and meet you so you could gide me through your wonderful (water)world

    Nice picture, I am SO fond of birds!

    Have a nice weekend,

    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldnt it be fun to have you visit, so many places to go so many things to do and animals to see. i think if we took you to Kangaroo island that the wild life there would cover most of Australian larger varieties. Then on to the Barossa or Mclaren Vale for wine tasting and follow the foodies trail, a spot of snorkelling at Port Noarlunga and a boogie board at southport, walks along the beach front and visit the seals at Hallett Cove and of course sit at the Seacliff pub for a beer and watch the sun go down from the balcony.
      Looking forward to your visit! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures and fab birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could visit, if you like birds I think most of my last five posts bar one are of differing birds, lorrikeets glahs cockatoos, pelicans

      Delete
  3. gorgeous. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments