Wednesday 30 January 2013

Quilt As You Go - Part 2


A long long time ago I started a "quilt as you go" quilt for my nephew for this 21st. Birthday
Yes I started it after his birthday in July. Looking back over the blog dates it was in August last year that this journey began. I had started a tutorial which you can find here and promised to continue it when  I'd finished piecing all the squares. I think originally I was going to do 64 squares but this has since grown to 90 to make a queen size bed quilt.
So finally....I have made all 90 squares. 
My colour scheme has also changed, originally I wanted to make a sour green and grey quilt but now have incorporated bright green and inky grey/ blacks 

So here we are nine strips of ten squares all joined together waiting for the final big sew (tomorrow or Friday)

To make the strips place the squares back to back with the right sides facing outwards and join with a 1/4 inch seam. the join will show on the top of your quilt. I alternated green then grey squares

To cover the seam use a strip of material 2 1/2 inches wide. fold in half length wise. With the opening facing the seam of the quilt place a 1/4 of an inch from the seam , pin in place. Sew a quarter of inch in on the strip - so you sewing line is 1/2  from the quilt top seam. Remove pins and flip the stripping over the seams, pin in place and sew.

Sew in place
Continue until all the pieces are joined in rows ..... Then do  the big join between rows the same way and add binding and you are finished. Only takes time and patience...



Almost but not quite finished. On with the show..
This quilt would work for framing pictures for eye spy quilts and allows for the underside of the quilt to also be patterned... I will show the back when the quilt is finished.
Hope you can understand my instructions - but a picture paints a thousand words...
Click the link to find part one of tutorial here and the completed quilt here

2 comments:

  1. Looks great. I like the colour scheme you've created.
    I'm sure it will be a welcomed addition to your nephews room.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments